Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Busy Day

Hello Everyone!

What a day yesterday! I had intended to do a new post, but everything that could go wrong, did go wrong! I was supposed to be at a club meeting, to set-up for a food judging event at a local festival in our area, and I showed up at 10:00 a.m. just like planned. No one else was there! I couldn't figure out what was wrong! At our last meeting, the agenda said Friday, May 2, 2008 @ 10:00 a.m. in big bold letters. What I didn't remember was that at our last meeting, we changed it to Thursday 1, 2008, and I had written it down right next to the original date! I went on the wrong day! Totally missed the meeting! I was so aggravated with myself, how could I have overlooked the change in plans? Well, I guess it was "Providential" hinderance, because Wednesday night at church, the pastor asked me if I could take his wife to a doctor's appointment on Thursday and I agreed. She had been hospitalized several days earlier, then released, and on her first day back at work, they had to call 911. She has migranes really bad, but that was not why she was hospitalized. I think she has colitis. I guess I spelled that right.
I was glad I could be of assistance to her. Maybe that was in the plan!

I had to run a few errands yesterday after my "wild goose chase", and I stopped at a local farm to get some strawberries. They were beautiful! Large, red and juicy-full of flavor! I took some over to my dad's and ate lunch with him. On my return trip home, I needed some bows for a wreath on my front door. I stopped at a shop near my home and waited for the lady to make them. I left and turned into the road by my house and a lady flagged me down. I don't usually stop like that because of all the "crime" and such, but for some reason, I did this time. She asked if I could take her to her grandmother's house about three miles away. I reluctantly agreed, but said I had to make a quick stop first, then I would come back to pick her up. I let my husband know what had happened and he said to go ahead, but keep my phone with me. He came out on the porch to "make his presence known", and asked her a few questions. Then we left. I dropped her off at her grandmother's, but she told me to wait and carry her back to where I picked her up! Now that was too much for me! Something did not "feel" right. Another lady came out of the house and started searching for something in the back seat of her car. I asked if the lady was coming out and she said she didn't know. "How do you know her?," she asked. "I don't, I was just giving her a ride," I said. The whole thing was not "feeling right", so I told the lady outside to tell her I had to go and I left. I figured her grandmother or the other lady could give her a ride back. I want to be of help to people, but I need to listen to that "little voice" that tells me it may be a bad situation. Anyway, I know that God will bless my intentions!

When I finally got home, the house was a wreck! My husband said that his brother and wife were coming over for supper. We had invited them a day earlier, and they had declined, saying they had to work late. Now, they were coming after all and I had not prepared anything! I took out some chicken I had in the freezer and thawed it for the grill. We had a no-frills supper. Barbecued chicken on the grill, mashed potatoes and green lima beans. Fortunately, I had some of the strawberries left from earlier that day, so we were able to have dessert!

I was so tired after supper, I could hardly hold my eyes open. I know I must have dozed off a time or two while I was watching TV with my sister-in-law. I hope she did not notice!

They finally went home and I went straight to bed! I hope today is less eventful!

Be Encouraged!
Plant Lady


SKY4KAT said...

What a day you had! I can so relate. I am trying to learn to take things in stride like missing meetings, being delayed in traffic and looking at them as "this is exactly where I am supposed to be". Doesn't always work.
I had a "gourd" question for you. My mother-in law gave me 3 gourds for Christmas. Yeah sort of a different gift but she is an artist and of that thought pattern....anyway, I would love to make a bird house or feeder. Can you explain how to do it for someone who has never done it before? The gourds, 1 is large in body, 1 is long skinny neck and small body and 1 is round.
I so enjoyed your stories about you engagement and wedding. Also Mr plantlady was an amusing side. Its special to hear the story from both perspectives.
Katrina in Colorado

SweetPea said...

Makes me tired reading it. I'm sure at the end you felt very productive though. Wierd about that girl. That would freak me out too.

Plant Lady said...

About your gourds, the first thing I would do is to wash them. I usually soak them about 15 minutes in warm soapy water. You will have to keep turning them so all sides are exposed to the water - they tend to float. I just scrub them with a plastic scrubber pad. You can get most of the "skin" off that way, but some discoloration will remain. I think that gives the gourd "character", but if you want to, you can paint the entire thing if you do not like the natural effect.

When the gourd dries, give it a whack on the palm of your hand to loosen the seeds. Sometimes it will take more than one whack!

Measure and mark the size of the opening with a pencil or marker. The size will depend on the type of bird you are trying to attract- usually about 1" to 1/4". The smaller birds usually like the smaller holes, the larger ones, the larger holes.

Cut out the opening with a very sharp utility knife or I use a small drill with a spoon bit the size of the opening I want. BE CAREFUL! Sometimes, the gourd will slip and you will get cut. I have started putting a damp towel underneath the gourd on a table to prevent slippage as I am working. Don't apply too much pressure, just a firm steady pressure.

When the hole is cut, shake the gourd, opening side down to remove most of the seeds. You may have to take a long-handled spoon or some other tool to completely remove the inner flesh that is sometimes hard to get out. Don't worry about getting it all, the birds will incorporate that into their nesting material.

Drill a hole with a regular bit through the neck of the gourd and insert a wire for hanging.

Some people do not apply a sealer or polyurethane varnish to the outside of the birdhouse, but I do to extend the use of the gourd for several seasons. I re-apply it every other year, if needed.

To do a feeder, I just follow the same steps, except I will cut the holes on the sides of the gourd(usually in a large triangular shape depending on the size of your gourd) to accommodate filling and the feeding.

That's about all there is to it! Let your imagination run wild with the design of the feeder. I've seen one feeder that just had one side cut out of the gourd and it made a cute feeder! From your description, the large gourd sounds like a martin gourd. It is used for martin houses. The long one with a skinny neck sounds like a long-neck dipper gourd and the other one sounds like a canteen gourd, or either an apple gourd.
They all should make good birdhouses or feeders, depending on the size of the gourd.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them! I really enjoy crafting with gourds. I'm sure you will create a wonderful birdhouse or feeder.

Plant Lady

SKY4KAT said...

Thanks so very much. I'm very excited to give it a try. If the weather is nice I'll try tomorrow. I'll try and take some pictures and if they turn out I'll post them. Never done anything like this--with gourds. I love to do crafts also but this is a stretch. I haven't gourds for sale or even grown up here. I know we probably couldn't grow then in the mountains cos our growing season is so short. We had snow again Thursday.
Thanks again.

Mary said...

You can invite me over anytime for grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, and lima beans! I'm sure every one enjoyed the meal.

And I know how it feels to go to bed "dead tired" after a stressful day.

I think it is really good that you listened to those inner feelings of "something" not right! I remember one time my mother and I went into a restaurant to eat and when I entered the restaurant I became fearful and felt I should leave immediately. I told mother I didn't want to stay and when we got in the car she said that she felt the same fear and felt that we should leave. I'll never know if something would have happened but with both of us having the same feeling that "something was wrong" is a pretty clear indication.

I feel certain there are people that ignored that feeling and suffered harm because of it.

Looking forward to your next blog!
They keep getting better and better :)


SKY4KAT said...

Me again,
I just read your comment on my blog. What a sad memory to lose your mom on mothers day. Arg. I am so sorry.
As I told sweetpea, I am going to send my questions to my mom in her mothers day card with a note as to desiring to know her better. She has been a wonderful mom but not as close as I would desire. I have seen some of her woundedness and can understand some behaviors arising from those wounds. I was tearing up as I read all the responses. Thank you so very much.

From the Heart said...

I too am glad you followed your feelings. I remember my husband and I went to the beach one weekend without a reservation. We stopped at a place that had a vacancy, paid and went to the room, but my husband said I don't feel right about this. I didn't either. The room was not exactly what we expected and he did not like the looks of the people hanging around so we decided to leave. If I remember correctly we ended up driving back home. What an experience but thank God for taking us out of a place we did not feel right about.

JnL4God said...

Hi Plant Lady,
Wow did we have similar days or what. Thanks for stopping by my blogs. It is so nice to get to know you. You and Mr. Plant Lady are welcome to come for dinner, just give me a couple days notice to plan, or not I can do it either way. Way to go on following your feelings more than likely the Holy Spirit.

Have a wonderful evening and day tomorrow. I'll try to write again.